Monday 1 July 2013

Ghana Must Go - a review

After sending an effusive post-holiday tweet to my friend, Kate Haines, extolling the virtues of Taiye Selasi's Ghana Must Go, she suggested that I review it for her blog, Africa In Words. Kate, together with four other PhD students concerned with literature, print culture, and Africa, set the site up in order to 'start community and dialogue' among people with 'similar preoccupations and interests'. I was delighted to be let loose as a guest contributor... and you can read what I thought of Ghana Must Go HERE

As an author, I think I'd always approach review-writing requests with much caution, my guiding ethos being something along the lines of 'if you've got nothing good to say, say nothing'. In the case of this novel, I had plenty of good things to say, and am therefore very happy to have been given the chance to say them loudly, in an environment that's as well-informed, and super-engaged, as Africa In Words. Thanks, Kate!

My Post-it-ridden copy, I wonder if all reviewers' books look like this?