Thursday 24 May 2012

Richard & Judy Summer Book Club

Today is paperback publication day for The Book of Summers in the UK, and just yesterday it was announced that my book has been chosen by Richard and Judy for their Summer Book Club. I've known about it for a little while and I've been bursting to tell - it's quite overwhelming that I can now shout about it. 




I've always been a fan of Richard and Judy's selections - some of my favourite contemporary novels have been past picks, Eve Green by Susan Fletcher, The Outcast by Sadie Jones, The Paris Wife by Paula McLain, and I'm honoured to be in such company. (American readers - if you're unfamiliar with the legends that are Richard and Judy, my US editor Erika brilliantly described them as 'think Oprah, with charming accents').

You can read both Richard and Judy's reviews of The Book of Summers in full HERE. Richard said "A delicate, atmospheric, regretful tale but full of redemption too. I absolutely loved it" and Judy, "A lovely story of a mother's love and shattered dreams. And the power of simple photographs and forgotten trinkets to mend broken hearts." A video interview will appear on the same site in the near future (we filmed yesterday) and in July a dedicated podcast will run, as well as a live web chat - I'll keep you posted.


The Book Club will be in all WHSmith stores throughout the summer, and also online, with regular Facebook updates. Wowzer. What more can I say? Only that I'm incredibly grateful to Richard and Judy for choosing The Book of Summers. I couldn't wish for a better start to my book's life as a paperback.